Thrasher Buschmann & Voelkel
Market Square Center
151 N. Delaware St., Suite 1900
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2505
Steve joined the firm as a shareholder in 2000, when it was then renamed Thrasher Buschmann & Voelkel. Steve became the firm’s President in 2004. Steve has practiced law for over 38 years, 33 years in private practice, and focuses his efforts in the areas of real estate, homeowners associations, commercial litigation, annexation litigation, government entities, and lobbying. His clients include homeowners associations, nonprofit organizations, individual and business entities; and township and other governmental entities.
Steve has been a registered lobbyist for 25 years, and prior to that served in various positions working for the General Assembly. Steve has participated in numerous civic, political and charitable organizations. In 2007, the Superintendent of the Indiana State Police named Steve an Honorary State Trooper for his work on State Police issues. Steve has been a frequent instructor on various aspects of township government and finance. Steve has also written a number of articles on various aspects of homeowners’ association law.
Steve earned his JD, cum laude from the Indiana University Indianapolis School of Law in 1974 and his BSIM from Purdue University in 1971. Steve is a member of the John Purdue Club and the Purdue President’s Council. Steve and his wife Marianne live in Indianapolis.
Areas of Practice
• Homeowners Associations; Real Estate; Commercial Litigation; Representing Local Governments; Annexation Remonstrances; Lobbying.
• Registered Indiana Lobbyist, Indianapolis, 1988-Present.
• Legal Counsel to Indiana House Ways & Means Committee, Indianapolis, 1979-88.
• Indiana Legislative Services Agency, Senior Legislative Analyst, Indianapolis 1976-79.
• Indiana Attorney General’s Office, Deputy Attorney General, Indianapolis, 1974-76.
• Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis, J.D. cum laude, 1974.
• Purdue University, B.S.I.M., 1971.
• Pike Township Fire Department Merit Commission
• Pike Township GOP Club
• United States Supreme Court, 1985.
• Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, 1982.
• United States District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1975.
• United States District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1974.
• Indiana, 1974.
• Grass Roots (publication of the Indiana Township Association), contributing author.
• Indiana Association Helpnow, frequent contributor.
• Township Governance Issues-seminars: Indiana Township Association Annual Convention, Instructor.
• Liability Issues-seminar: Indiana Fire Chief’s Convention, Instructor.
• Employment Manuals-seminar: National Association of Towns and Townships (Washington DC) , Instructor.
• Central Indiana Chapter Community Associations Institute, Panelist
Homeowners Association Legal Issues
FHA Certification for Condominiums, Instructor
Covenant Violations, Instructor
• Indiana State Bar Association
• Indianapolis Bar Association, Government Practice Section
• Indianapolis Law Club
• John Purdue Club
• Purdue Alumni Association
• Purdue President’s Council
Honors and Awards
• Honorary State Trooper (2007) – Indiana State Police Department
• Diploma – National Institute of Trial Advocacy (1984)